As you know we've teamed up with our friends at Eaten Alive to bring you a series of gut-friendly vegan recipes and last to the table is Jackfruit Faux Crispy Duck Pancakes!
Jackfruit Faux Crispy Duck Pancakes (serves 4)
- 2 tins of young (green) jackfruit in water
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 small bunch of spring onions (white part only), finely diced
- Garlic to taste (LOTS), finely diced
- 2 tbsp ginger, finely diced
- 1 tsp Chinese five-spice
- 2 tbsp soy sauce or Tamari
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 4 tbsp Remedy Kombucha Cherry Plum
- 2 tbsp Eaten Alive Cacao & Lime sauce
Remaining Ingredients to serve
- Pancakes for crispy duck
- Eaten Alive Cacao & Lime sauce combined with Hoisin sauce, to taste
- 1 cucumber, cored and cut into matchsticks
- Spring onion, cut into thin strips lengthwise
- Sesame seeds, to garnish
Method (Best made a day ahead to marinate the jackfruit):
- Drain both jackfruit tins. Roughly break up the pieces with your hands and set them aside.
- Heat up toasted sesame oil in a medium pan. Fry spring onions until softened. Add garlic and ginger and fry off gently until soft and fragrant.
- Add five-spice mix and fry it off gently, stirring the whole time, for a minute or so.
- Now add in the prepared jackfruit along with your Soy sauce or Tamari, Hoisin, sauce Toasted sesame oil, Remedy Cherry Plumb Kombucha and Eaten Alive Cacao & Lime sauce
- Mix everything really well. Squash the jackfruit pieces with your mixing spoon so that the individual fibres separate more.
- Simmer the mixture gently for another 5-10 minutes and then allow it to cool down. Place in the fridge overnight to intensify the flavour.
- Just before you are ready to assemble your pancakes, set the oven to 200° C. Spread the jackfruit pieces on a baking sheet lined tray and bake for approx 20-25 minutes until a little caramelised and browned around the edges.
- Warm-up your pancakes in a steamer.
- Dollop a bit of Cacao & Lime/Hoisin sauce on the inside of each pancake, followed by jackfruit ‘duck’, cucumber, spring onions and sesame seeds.
- Enjoy with a glass of Remedy Kombucha Cherry Plum.