Remedy Kombucha College: Lesson #5
How To Convert A Kombucha Skeptic
It’s not going to come as a surprise, but at Remedy HQ we’re kind of addicted to kombucha. We freakin’ LOVE the stuff and think EVERYONE should drink it – it tastes great, it’s filled with goodness AND it has no sugar, what more could you ask for?! But even we have those mates that won’t even TRY kombucha. You know the ones; you offer them a can and they put up their nose like a toddler being served broccoli. Surely something that’s meant to be good for them can’t possibly taste nice!
In our experience, there are three types of kombucha skeptics:
- The sugar-loving skeptic aka the die-hard soda lovers. Look. We get it. It can be hard to make the leap to imagine that something “fermented” is going to taste nice. You don’t go straight from downing handfuls of Skittles to only eating kale chips, nor do you go from drinking full-sugar Cola to homemade wheatgrass shots – baby steps are required.
- The burnt skeptic Their first experience was probably a very-funky, slightly-boozy home brew given to them by their crunchy aunt who lives in the hills or – shock horror – another brand of kombucha, and now they’re scarred for life. While we’d probably love a taste, homebrews are not for the faint-hearted, and can really put a sour taste in people’s mouths (pun intended).
- The dad skeptic What’s with dads thinking “kamboocha is a sheila’s drink!” (tell that to our founder Emmet) or “kambuthca is for those vegans!”. Dads can be REALLY stuck in their ways and don’t always like to venture into the unknown. They’re happy with a classic ginger beer and a bag of original chips, and that’s about it.
So, what do you do when you come across a kombucha skeptic? How do you convert them to being a fully-fledged booch lover?
- Pour them a sip of one of Remedy’s fruity flavors – we recommend Mixed Berry, Mango Passion and Raspberry Lemonade as the perfect gateway booches for any kombucha skeptic.
- Show them the plethora of celebs who freakin’ love the stuff. Whatever they’re into – we can assure you there’s Remedy lover in their ranks. Music? Justin Bieber (and his wife, Hailey). to name a few. Movie stars? How’s Russell Brand? Sport? Oh, we don’t know... just Jrue Holiday from the NBA. If it’s good enough for all of them, surely it’s good enough for anyone.
- Slip in a bit of alcohol. That’s right, whip them up a drink during cocktail hour. They’ll never guess that super-tasty gin number they just had was mixed with kombucha.
- Tell them it’s a soda. Sometimes it’s THAT simple. If they don’t know what it is, they can’t be weirded out. If they happen to like it, you can then introduce them to all the goodies they’ve just consumed (live cultures, organic acids and antioxidants).
Got any other good ideas to convert a kombucha skeptic? Let us know!